Saturday, January 1, 2011

Sausage Roll

Today I am feeling a bit better then I have been the past few days. I still skipped the family affair today and just stayed home. It was a nice day, I did my own thing in the kitchen and didn't have to worry about a thing. I have been working on a few recipes and posts for this week. Up first..the monster sausage roll.

Ingredients:





1lb ground Sausage
1 cup tomato sauce
8oz mozzarella cheese
1 tube crescent rolls
*Pre-heat oven 350 degrees*

1. Brown Sausage in a skillet. I just put the sausage in the skillet, it has enough fat in it that you dont need to spray/oil/butter the skillet first. Once its browned take sausage out of skillet with a slotted spoon to drain grease. Wipe out skillet with a paper towel, replace sausage in skillet.





2. While sausage is browning unroll the crescent dough onto a cookie sheet and pinch together at the seams. Try not to handle the dough to much and keep it cold until needed. Keeping it cold and handled as little as possible will keep it from becoming tough and falling apart when you are rolling.





3. Once sausage is returned to the skillet turn heat down to med-med/low mix in 1 cup of tomato sauce and all of the cheese except a small handful. Warm till bubbly melty and creamy.





4. Carefully and Evenly spread filling on top of dough. Leave about 1/2in boarder so it doesn't squish out when you roll it.



5. Start from one side and roll to the other.



6. Top with the left over cheese and Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25minutes


7. Let stand for 5min before you slice and serve.


This thing is a monster! Next time I make this I think I will try to make it with making my own dough. This is flaky and good but being a crescent dough it's a bit on the sweet side for me.

Other ideas or variations: I think this would be good as an appetizer rolled in the individual crescent slices. I think that would be prettier for entertaining.

Sneak peak coming up this week:
Banana nut muffins topped with turbinado sugar
Cinnamon Sugar Crumb topped blueberry muffins
White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake

Enjoy!
<3 Laura ^.^

No comments:

Post a Comment