Sunday, January 23, 2011

Happy BBQ'd Accidents

So Saturday morning I decided I would make ribs for dinner...in the crock pot. Nothing better then a taste of summer bbq in the middle of winter right? Well I had good intentions anyway....When getting the meat out of the fridge in the morning I found that something was leaking so I ended up having to clean out the fridge and I somehow put the ribs back and took the Angus Beef roast out instead. And I don't know maybe it's because I had other things on my mind :) but I didn't even realize it till everything was mixed in the crock pot and cooking. It was an official *DUH*  cooking moment! I'm allowed to have one of those every once in a while right? So my planned BBQ Ribs dinner turned into BBQ pulled Beef instead. It was still really yummy and I still have the ribs for later this week :) win-win if you ask me.





Dinner Menu: BBQ Pulled Beef....Spicy Cajun brown rice, and veggies with a side green salad

Crock Pot BBQ Pulled Beef:
3-4lbs Angus Beef Roast
1 40oz bottle of favorite BBQ sauce ( my family LOVES this stuff Feel free to make your own and WLS folks can use SF BBQ sauce like this)
2 Medium white onions cut into rings
3 TBSP Worcestershire Sauce
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder

1. Spray your Crock Pot with cooking spray (makes for a  much easier clean up)
2. Cut onions into rings and line the bottom of your crock pot (this step keeps the meat from sticking to the bottom and the onions caramelize and melt into the sauce mmmmmm)
3. Season your meat with Salt Pepper and Garlic Powder, make sure you get all sides of the roast



4. Place meat on top of onions in crock pot



5. In a medium mixing bowl mix the BBQ sauce with the W.Sauce more pepper and garlic powder (I did not add extra salt here due to the W.Sauce it's salty enough for me but salt to your taste). The W.Sauce makes the BBQ sauce dark and rich.




6. Dump sauce over meat making sure to cover all sides.
7. Turn Crock pot on HIGH for 8 hours
8. At the 7 hour mark take the roast out of the crock pot and shred. The roast will be tender and moist and will easily pull apart by using two forks pulling in opposite directions. Dump Pulled beef back into sauce and cover till the 8 hour mark.
(pre shredded)
(after pulling)
While the roast is bubbling away for the reainder of ~45min prepare your side dishes. I made mixed veggies (peas and carrots) with salt pepper and a small amount of butter. My starch side dish was Spicy cajun brown rice. Now this crappy rice was out of a boxed mix...I was *NOT* impressed. I thought it had no flavor, that's what I get for not making my own right? Sam didn't like the rice but my father did. Other great side dish idea's could be: Oven baked fries, or a Quinoa Black Bean Salad.



Now I wanted to run out and get sandwich rolls but the Family said not to worry. So I just served this alongside the side dishes. Of course after they ate they said "That would have been really good as a sandwich" I just stared at them....

I have to say yay to happy accidents because this turned out really really good. My tiny tumy even likes it, which as many of you know is very hard to find things to eat that aren't just protein shakes for me. And I am happy to report that there are left overs that I will definetly be eating some of for lunch today :)

Enjoy!
<3Laura ^.^

No comments:

Post a Comment