Monday, January 17, 2011

Caramel Apple Cinnamon Walnut Muffins



Ok so I have been on a Muffin kick lately. I don't know why but they are fun to make.  I have been throwing around flavor ideas in my head, I was told I need to have ideas that included things we already have on hand. Lol well I had everything except the apple, so I did have to buy one but I don't think they will mind :)

I have fallen in love with BIG muffins! Not that I get to eat them...but they are pretty to look at..while they last that is. I use almost the same recipe as the Blueberry Crumb Muffins. They come out big and warm and cakey with that crumbly topping that I added some icing and caramel to top it off. Mmmm if only I could have a bite without dieing!

Ingredients:
1 Medium size-Large Red Delicious Apple
3 tablespoon Sugar Free Caramel Syrup ( I use this )
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon Sugar Free Caramel Syrup
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk

1 cup chopped up walnuts
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 cup caramel sauce (I used this )
  
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Line with muffin tin with  liners. 





In a skillet warm up 2-3 tablespoons of sugar free caramel syrup

Peel, Core and Small Dice the apple, drop into warm skillet and heat through.(Don't let the apples brown you just want them softened and soaked in the syrup) Set aside to cool.


Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. 

Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup top off with vanilla extract and sugar free caramel syrup.Mix this with flour mixture. 

Fold in Apples and Walnuts. 



Fill muffin cups *right to the top* 




To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.Really pack this on the tops. 




Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven.

Set on a rack to Cool...and make sure you really let this cool before you try to add the icing. You don't want the icing to melt and run all over the place.


 Take the one cup of powdered sugar mix with 3 tablespoons of heavy cream. mix until thick and let sit for a few minutes. Spoon into a zip-lock bag, snip a SMALL corner and pipe the white icing onto the muffins in any desired design.




Take the caramel and spoon it into another zip-lock bag. Snip a small corner and pipe the caramel in the opposite direction of the white icing. 




Let the icing set up before you serve. Can serve these warm but they are just as good at room temperature. I would only warm them in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds. You don't want the icing to melt and run off and make a mess.

Sugar Free Caramel Syrup  can be bought following that link, but Wal-mart also carries several flavors. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE these syrups. I use them in everything...making ice cream, protein shakes, baking, coffee, etc.

I have a few other blogs to post this week. And they won't be sweets, they will be meals :) I hope everyone had a great MLK Day!!! It looks like we will be getting an ice/snow/sleet/rain tomorrow morning, I'm hoping for a delayed opening or a snow day :) A girl can hope right?

Enjoy! :)
<3 Laura ^.^

No comments:

Post a Comment