Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Rustic Fruit Tart


It's no secret that I am a huge fan,  admirer, addict of the food network. They always make everything seem so easy especially with 30 minute meals, and $10 dinners, and Semi-homemade things....well I looked in my fridge and saw some berries that were close to being expired and I had a pre-made pie dough that I bought last week for another recipe that did not get posted. It wasn't very pretty and although my family told me it was delicious I need to perfect it before sharing it. So this was very easy to throw together, taking a lesson from Anne Burrell and her love of all things "Rustic" aka: I personally am just to lazy to always make things perfectly pretty, and have no counter space for rolling dough out.  

I used this as a clean out my fruit and other things kind of recipe. I used two different jams with the fruit use what you have on hand. 

One of my favorite breakfasts is sweetened ricotta cheese, I had some in the fridge so I added it to the base of pie crust. 

1 Pie crust is needed. Either homemade or pre-made. Set out on counter top to come to room temp about 20 minutes before you need to use it. If homemade roll out to the size you want. I used a boxed one and did not roll it out any thinner/bigger then what it was. 

Preheat oven to 375

Sweetened Ricotta Ingredients:

1 Cup Ricotta Cheese
1 tbsp cinnamon
1tsp Vanilla extract


1. Mix ingredients and set aside.

Fruit Filling Ingredients:
1 Pint Strawberries, diced
1 Pint Blueberries
1 tbsp Cinnamon Pear Jam
1/4 cup Strawberry Jam
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp Sugar
2 tbsp corn starch



2. Everything goes into a pot boil for 3-4 minutes then simmer until thick. Turn burner off and set aside to cool.
3. Grease baking sheet and lay out pie crust.
4. Spread the Ricotta filling on the bottom about 1 inch away from the sides
5. Spread fruit filling on top of the ricotta.
6. I used an egg wash (one egg+ water mixed) brushed on the 1 inch boarder to help hold it together. 
7. Fold sides up and over filling, I pinched the dough together to hold form and brushed the top with more egg wash.
8. Bake 375 for 30-40 minutes. Let cool 10 Minutes before cutting to serve. 

In the oven.

After baking.

(Sorry lighting for this picture is so bad...)

I served as is because like I said it was a spur of the moment fridge clean out dish. But this would be great served with vanilla ice cream, or with some cinnamon whipped cream, or vanilla bean whipped cream. 

It was really yummy...so much so that I didn't get to take a picture of it cut before it was all eaten. I did have some extra fruit filling left over. I put it in a jar and have used it on toast for breakfast....will be yummy warmed and put over ice cream or waffles/pancakes too....mmmm

Enjoy ^.^ 
Laura <3

No comments:

Post a Comment