Tuesday, February 1, 2011

faux pah-sketti

Ok so since I had surgery there are several things that I try to not eat, or only eat occasionally. These include bread, pasta, and rice. So what happens when I really want something that contains these items? I improvise! After my last post, if you remember correctly I had a ton of stuffing and more than half a head of cabbage. So I played around and came up with this faux-spaghetti

Ingredients:
1.5 lbs ground turkey
1 onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced

1 yellow pepper, diced

1 red pepper, diced

2 tbsp olive oil
1 small to medium sized head of cabbage
1 jar tomato sauce (2-3 cups if using home made)
1 cup + more for garnish shredded parmasean cheese

Salt
Pepper
Garlic
Italian seasoning

Now all of the above has been previous cooked for me due to me using left overs so this was a very quick and easy week night meal. You can easily prepare the stuffing on the weekend and reheat and mix everything one night during the week. If you are prepping ahead I would also suggest shredding the cabbage by simply cutting it in half and running your knife through it. But if you are making this on it's own (no from left overs) it is still an easy meal.

Cooking on it's own:
1. Cut the core out of the head of cabbage and boil for a few minutes until cabbage becomes soft. Shred cabbage into long strips.

2. Saute peppers and onions season with salt pepper garlic and italian seasoning set aside to cool
3. Brown the ground turkey (as always I dont use anything in the pan the natural fat in the meat is enough to brown)- drain fat in neccessary-season with salt pepper garlic and italian seasoning.

4. Mix veggies with ground meat add in shredded cabbage and tomato sauce
5. Cover and let it heat through for about 10 minutes.
Can serve as is or with a side salad and crusty bread.

Cooking as left overs:
1. Saute precooked and pre-shredded cabbage in a large skillet with 2 tbsp olive oil until soft and almost see through.
2. Top with pre-made left over "stuffing" (ground turkey, veggies, seasonings and sauce)



3. Can add more sauce if you like. I did :) I also topped with Parmesan cheese cover and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. 

Can serve on it's own, with a side salad and with crusty bread or garlic bread if you'd like. 

I LOVE this. I could eat it for days (and I have). My picky tummy likes it and it definitely doesn't make me miss that pasta. This definitely feeds a crowd, we had left overs for several meals.


Enjoy!!
<3 Laura ^.^

No comments:

Post a Comment