Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Classic Red Velvet Cupcakes

Holy moley! Where has this past week gone? I have been *SO SO SO* busy with work and hectic stuff going on that I have not had time to post anything. Please forgive me! I wanted to post this before Valentines Day but I didn't get the chance. For Valentines Day I made cupcakes for work. I made two kinds Red Velvet and a vanilla bean (recipe posted later this week). Earlier last week I asked what kind of cupcakes they wanted me to make, So what do they do? They google...yes he google and the first thing that came up was Red Velvet. Can you get any more Valentines Day then dark red cake and stark white icing? I think not! Here is my cupcake and icing recipe (and secret for super white icing).

**Pre-heat oven 350 degrees**
Cupcake:

3 1/3 cup cake flour (not self-rising), sifted
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 1/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
2 oz red food coloring
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp white distilled vinegar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1. I always prepare my cupcake pans ahead of time, line them with cupcake liners if using a silicone pan no need to line or grease but do remember to place them on top of a baking pan.
2. In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the red food coloring, cocoa, and vanilla, add to the batter and beat well.
4. In a measuring cup, stir the salt into the buttermilk. Add to the batter in three parts, alternating with the flour.(Flour, milk, flour) With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated, but do not overbeat.

5. In a small bowl, stir together the cider vinegar and baking soda. Add to the batter and mix well. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir by hand getting the bottom of the bowl, making sure the ingredients are well blended and the batter is smooth.
6. Divide the batter among the prepared pans. Bake each tray for 20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Take care not to overfill the cupcake liners, I tend to do this and my cupcake tops come out like muffin tops.
7. Let the cupcakes cool in the pans for 1 hour. Remove from the pans and cool completely on a wire racks before icing.



Cream cheese Icing:
2- 8oz packages of cream cheese, softened and cut up in pieces
6 tbsp unsalted butter softened and cut into pieces
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
4-5 cups powdered sugar, sifted (sweeten to taste but remember the more powdered sugar you add the less you will taste the tangy cream cheese which is a classic component for Red Velvets)
****White Food Coloring

1. In a mixing bowl beat cream cheese and butter until smooth, stop often to clean off whisk attachment.
2. Add Vanilla and beat in well.
3. Add powdered sugar one cup at a time, incorporating well.
4. Add white food coloring, use as much as you need to gain the whiteness you desire
5. Whip on high speed for several minutes until light and fluffy
6. Refrigerate for 1-2 hrs before piping onto cupcakes.

****I have to say I am in love with white food coloring. I hate when you want really white icing but the butter tinges it an off white. And if you aren't using a clear vanilla extract, that can color your icing as well. The answer is a simple trip to Michaels away! This is definetly a time when more is more. It makes the icing bright and white and B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!! Just make sure you incorporate it well into the icing.

These were a HUGE hit. Everyone told me how much they loved them. And I have to admit I gave in and had a small bite of one, and wow it was good!

Enjoy!
<3 Laura ^.^

1 comment: