Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Bacon Wrapped Oven Baked Steak





So I can make various things one thing I *always* screw up is Steak. The first time I ever made steak I used a store bought marinade and used a stove top grill pan....well needless to say I had to open the windows with all the smoke that built up in the kitchen. But I am determined to get this right! So what better way (and easier way) thank to bake it? Why not? ...yes I do realize this is technically cheating...I guess...

Ingredients:
2 cuts of steak
6-8 strips bacon

Marinade:
1 cup Italian dressing
2 tbsp dijon mustard
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
pinch salt
pepper
garlic


1. Using two zip lock bags (one for each steak), prick steak with fork, sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper, place steak inside bags and divide marinade evenly over steaks. Squish around in your hands making sure marinade covers steak. Refrigerate for about an hour. (Do not over marinate this is more of a quick marinade then a long term marinade, leaving it to long will start to "cook" the meat and it will not be edible.)
2. Take out of the refridgerator 30min prior to cooking, you want the steak to be room temp so it doesnt seize up and contract when you sear it before baking. Also make sure you take the meat out of the marinade but don't throw it out we will use a bit of it later.
3. Heat a skillet with a small amount of butter. Yes I know I don't normally use butter but really for something like this...it's just simply necessary.
4. Depending on how large your steaks are depends on how many strips of bacon you will need. For the larger piece  I used 4 for the smaller one I only needed 3.  Wrap each strip around the steak and secure with tooth picks.
5. Sear in hot skilled until brown crust forms on each side (2-3 minutes per side)

Pre-heat oven 450 degrees

6. Line a baking sheet with foil (believe me this makes clean up easy-peasy don't skip this). Place seared steaks on baking sheet and top with a small amount of the left over marinade. Place in 450 degree oven for 18-25minutes. One of my steaks was smaller then the other, this worked out well because my steak was well done (the way I like it) and Sam's was Med-rare (the way he likes).



***Note- Baking time will vary based on how you enjoy your steak. You can either cut into the center to see how done it is (some can tell by touch), but the best way to tell is by taking an internal temp of your steak.

  • Very Rare Steak – 120°
  • Rare Steak – 125°
  • Medium-Rare Steak – 130° – 135°
  • Medium Steak – 140° – 145°
  • Medium-Well Steak – 150° – 155°
  • Well-Done Steak – 160°
One thing to keep in mind is that just because you take a steak off of the grill doesn’t mean its through cooking. The heat built up in the steak will continue to cook the meat until it begins to cool off, adding up to an additional 5 or 10 degrees of doness. This means you have to undershoot your steaks, removing them from the grill/oven just before they reach the desired temperature. Undershooting is a good strategy anyhow, since you can always throw it back on the grill/in the oven (in shame) if its not properly cooked, but you certainly can’t “uncook” a steak. ***

Side Dishes- I served this with pasta alfredo, saute onion on top of the steak, and saute brussel sprouts with butter and bacon.






So this is only the second time I have made steak but it came out pretty darn good if I say so myself. 


Enjoy,
<3 Laura ^.^

No comments:

Post a Comment